Sunday, January 25, 2009

This is a letter from Nanny to my mom and dad that I (Pam) found recently. I am amazed at her great English writing skills. This is unedited, exactly as written (except for a couple of words that I couldn't make out). I love that she even lets us know that "anchiladas" is spelled wrong.
Tuesday, June 23-53
Dearest Ruth & Doug,
How are you? Are you pretty well settled by now? I'm thinking of you everyday. Hope Norma is still allright, and how is Edna? We are really having a wonderful time. Larry is taking us all over. He has a 42 Mercury convertible. Boy, we really go. Yesterday we went to Long Beach and boy did I get sunburned. I'm really black but it doesn't hurt. Yesterday we went to see Aunt Helen. From there we went to Sunset Blvd. and stopped off at the Chinese theater and saw the footprints of a lot of movie stars. Then we drove up to Beverly Hills and Bell-Air where the movie stars live, from there to West Wood where the Mormon temple is being built, a beautiful place. From there we went to Inglewood where Lill's friends live, then home and ate tortias and (anchiladas) sp. Last night we went to L.A. and first to ____ street where the ___ are peddling their stuff. I bought you a bag, not too big, paid 7.35 including tax so you'll owe me some money. It's really a beautiful bag for so little money. Then we went to China Town and looked around, and then home. The freeway goes almost all the way out here, so it only takes 25-30 minutes. If we took the bus, it would take almost an hour. Tomorrow Amy, Lill and I will go to town and Larry will take the boys to the beach again. He will drop us off in town and leave us and pick us up in the aft. Boy, we will really walk around in the stores, (not buying). Thursday we are invited to Larry's sister for lunch. Friday to the beach again. Sat. we will stay home in the evening. Larry, Amy and Lillian will go shopping and I will be the baby tender. Monday Lill and the boys will go over to ___ and stay over night until Tuesday and Wednesday night at 7 we will leave to come home. So now you have our schedule. The weather has been perfect, real hot and cool during the nights. Amy feels fine, they will visit in Salt Lake about the 27th of Aug. for a week only. Well, goodbye kids and be good. Love, Mother

1 comment:

  1. Pam this was so great to read! I love it because it shows so much of Nanny's personality! What fun! It is so amusing to hear her talk about seeing the footprints of the movie stars , and buying mom that purse!!!

    ReplyDelete