Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Remembering Nanny

I guess this might be a Yellowstone photo with Nanny , Brad , Doug and Lynda.

Lilly (Amy's sister) and Amy (Nanny)


Nanny ( Amy) holding Pam.



Berger, Amalia, Amy and Lilly with children , first 4 ....Edna, Lillian, Norma, and little amy in Berger's arms.





Lillian, Ruth , Amy(nanny), Edna, and Norma.




Hilly , Lillian, Doug standing, and Lynda and Brad in front Amy is sitting on foreground in front holding her hat Edna, Amy(Nanny),Norma, Roger,and Ginger Amy(Nanny) lighting candles probably at a Christmas eve party

Amy and her brother , Karl Johan who did not move to the USA Amy and Berger mission photo
Brad, Amy ( Nanny), a glimpse of little Stephanie,Lisa sitting and Wendy standing.
Below; Amy far right with a group of friends Nanny , with daughters Ruth, and Amy


Amy holding daughter Ruth. Amy, holding one of her children(does any one know which one?) I think this is in front of the house we all know Amy with her half brother "little Joe" Amy as a young girl in a cooking class . She is top far right.
Little Karl and Amy
.
Amy Elisabeth Johansson Lundevall

I remember Nanny, even though I was very young when she passed away. The things that I remember, are little tidbits here and there, and are very likely spurred on from photos or other tangible memories that made a lasting impression on me as a little girl. And , in reflection ,as an adult (...an older one at that...and even a grandma myself) I often go back to the deepest parts of my foggy memory cupboard and try to dust off and retrieve some of those memories to relish.

I think of the hours I spent with her.. sometimes just with mom, others with the family. Often on Sundays when we would come into her home ,we would find her watching" The Lawrence Welk Show" ...she really enjoyed that and would usually have a little t.v. tray in front of her with a pretty tea cup and some other food item on top. We would always be warmly greeted with her cute sing songy voice ( I loved that accent) .

When mom and I would go to her house on weekdays, she would have some chocolate chip cookies in a jar for us( perhaps this helped start my obsession with chocolate). On occasion (because Nanny knew they were my favorite) she would let me eat a whole can of olives... I would of course put them on each of my fingers before slipping them into my mouth, while listening to conversations between mom and Nanny. Very often' we would all sit around a small table in her kitchen while the two of them would stick green stamps or gold stamps in little booklets. Do you guys remember them? we would all sit around the little table while the hours lolled away. When I would have to use the little bathroom which was just off of the kitchen, I was scared spit less... because of the bathtub with clawed feet! I was pretty sure that it was going to turn into a monster at any moment , and that it was going to happen while I was sitting on the toilet! Mom and Nanny would usually just laugh at me and leave the bathroom door a little open.

We would often go shopping "down town"with Nanny and she would always wear one of her best dresses, and some gloves, and usually a hat. I remember her being quite appalled when we would see someone not dressed appropriately for "town" ...like a woman wearing pants.
I loved going to Nanny's house at Christmas time. I liked the smells and and the very crowded house that it became , all festive and colorful . I especially looked forward to the display of pastel colored houses ...a "village of sort "on her old black piano. It was all displayed on "angel hair" and I was of course never allowed to touch it . And then there was the "tree" Pam and I have sinced talked about the funny little trees that she would pick. We still wonder if maybe she just picked the one she felt most sorry for , or the one no one else would likely pick. I remember a couple of the old straw Swedish ornaments ,definately the tinsel, but I mostly remember the tiny candles that were only briefly lit. Everyone held their breath , wondering if the tree would burst into flames like the men in the family promised. Nanny never did want to switch over to the new idea of electric lights on the tree though...she firmly stood her ground. And then, of course there was the singing and dancing around the tree. What a lasting memory for we children who were able to be there and participate. Watching Nanny and the older ones , as we tried to follow the Swedish words and imitate the amusing actions. My favorite one was the pounding on the floor, ( was that the baker or the builder?) and then the one where you were pretending to sniff the snuff? I couldn't wait to tell my friends what we Swedes did at Christmas time!
To a little girl, her house was HUGE (especially when we lived in a one level, flat roof style, home). I was so scared of the upstairs though, The clapboard style ,noisy stairs and everything creaked and was cold. But we loved it just the same.I'm sure everyone would agree thou, that the winning part of the house was the big closet between the kitchen and the dining room. Mom said that it was called the " cuminfunscontorit"(fun pronounced as foon) but Pam and I asked two Swedish girls about 5 years ago ,and they couldn't place that word any where.... anyway , it was a very intriguing room full of hats ,and who knows what else...the younger ones; Haidee , Bobbette , and I were rarely allowed in , and were promised by the older cousins that we might never return if we did.
Outside of Nanny's house was always playful, with Holly hocks in the back , I could never figure out how to make those Hollyhock dolls though. When we had party's there in the summer, Nanny would set out card tables, and cover them with her beautifully hand embroidered tablecloths.
I don't remember any particular conversations I had with Nanny, but I do remember being happy to be around her, and that she was a very caring, and loving person, and worried about us all .
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. What great memories! Thanks for sharing. love, pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom,
    That was a lot of fun to read about all of your memories of your grandma. You have probably shared them with me before when I was younger (but of course I don't rememebr them now). It was fun to get to know more about her and it was also fun to read that letter that she wrote.

    Love, Annie

    ReplyDelete